The Lawson Brown High School insignia consists of a shield divided into three parts by a central charge, being an inverted pall in black and outlined in gold or yellow, which serves to divide the field (which is scarlet or red) into three areas:
The cross recalls that when Bartholomew Dias undertook his journey around the Cape of Good Hope in 1488, he travelled as far east as Algoa Bay, where he planted a padrao - a stone cross bearing a tablet charged with the arms of the King of Portugal, King Joao II. He also planted a wooden cross on an island in the bay which he named llha de Santa Cruz, today called St Croix. The island can be seen clearly from the high ground on which the school stands in Millard Grange.
translation provided in the school prospectus reads: “Through effort/ hard work/commitment towards the stars.”
The motto’s wording is reflected in theschool’s highest accolade
awarded to a pupil for all-round excellence, the Astra Award. The motto is also that of the South African Air Force.
A book (openor closed) often
appears in the arms of academic institutions as a symbol of learning, and an openbook is frequently
inscribed with a motto.
The whole of the field is enclosed in a border of gold or yellow, rounding out the design of the shield.